The Teachings of Islâm
Homework Workbook – (for Parts I – III)
Homework 1 – Allâh
1) What does the Arabic word kalimah mean?
2) Write the kalimah tawheed in Arabic (without looking) and its English meaning. What are some other names of this kalimah.
3) What are the five pillars of Islâm? Tell their names in Arabic as well as English.
4) Give definitions of the following
5) What does it mean that Allâh has other names like ar-Rahmaan, al-Khaaliq, ar-Raaziq? What is the difference between these names and the name Allâh?
6) Why are the names of Allâh useful to know? Give at least two good reasons.
Homework 2 – Angels
1) Write the imaan mufassal in Arabic (without looking) and its English meaning (the seven beliefs).
2) What are angels? How many are there?
3) Who created the angels? Why were they created?
4) Who are the four famous angels and their jobs?
5) What other jobs do the angels do?
Find places in Qur’ân which mention or describe these jobs.
Homework 3 – Books of Allâh
1) What is the difference between a kitaab and a saheefah?
2) Which prophets were these books
3) Why can’t Muslims believe in what people nowadays call the Old Testament (Tawraah), the New Testament (Injeel), or the Psalms (Zaboor)?
4) How do we know that some prophets got smaller books called suhuf, or saheefahs?
5) Why do we believe completely that the Qur’ân we have is the perfect and actual revelation of Allâh? How was and is the Qur’ân preserved?
6) Why is the Qur’ân better than other books that Allâh revealed?
Homework 4 – Prophets of Allâh
1) What is the difference between a rasool and a nabiy? What kind of creatures were the prophets?
2) How did someone become a prophet? Why were the prophets sent?
3) What is the Arabic word that means “revelation,” or the “coming of Allâh’s Commands, Orders, and Messages to a prophet”?
4) Who were the first prophet and the last prophet?
5) What other prophets were from the same family line as the Prophet Muhammad ()?
6) Tell the names of seven prophets whose names are mentioned in the Holy Qur’ân.
Homework 5 – The Last Prophet ()
1) What were the names of the parents of the Prophet Muhammad ()? What was his grandfather’s name? Was his grandfather an important person in their city? Why? Who was his great-grandfather?
2) What cities did the Prophet () live in? Why did he have to move from one city to another?
3) Which tribe and family of Arabia did the Prophet () belong to?
4) How old was the Prophet () when he became a prophet? How long after that did he live?
5) What does ummiy mean? Why is it a miracle that the Holy Prophet () was ummiy?
6) What are the proofs that he is the last prophet ()?
Homework 6 – Sahaabah and Awliyaa
1) How many sahaabah were there? Tell the names of seven of them.
2) What is the definition of a sahaabi?
3) Were the sahaabah only Arabs or were they from other countries and lands also?
4) What does it mean to be a waliy-ullâh (friend of Allâh)?
5) Order the following people or types of people in order of their rank according to Islâm. For example, the first person in rank should be the Prophet Muhammad ():
Hazrat Abu Bakr ()
Any of the prophets (peace be upon them)
A waliy-ullâh who was not a sahaabah
Hazrat ‘Uthmân ()
Prophet Muhammad ()
Hazrat ‘Ali ()
Hazrat ‘Umar ()
6) What is a khaleefah? Who were the first four khulafaa?
Homework 7 – Day of Judgment, Taqdeer and Life after Death
1) What are some of the Arabic names of the Day of Judgment and what do they mean?
2) What will happen on the Day of Judgment?
3) When will Qiyaamah come and what are some of the signs that will come before it?
4) What are the two places that people will be in during the life after death? How long will that life last?
5) What does Taqdeer mean, or what is it?
Homework 8 – Beliefs
1) What must a person believe in to be a Muslim?
2) How do we know what a Muslim is supposed to believe in?
3) Do we believe in the miracles of the prophets? If yes, then give some examples? How is it possible for miracles to happen?
4) Do other people perform unusual things like miracles as well? What can it mean if this happens?
5) Why is it important to act upon what you believe? If someone says they believe like a Muslim, but do not act according to it, what will happen?
Homework 9 – Wuduu’ – I
1) What are the 7 conditions of prayer – that you have to check before starting to pray?
2) What is wuduu’, briefly?
3) What are the four fard actions of wuduu’?
4) What are the 13 sunnah and 5 mustahab actions of wuduu’?
5) What does it mean for something to be makrooh? What things are makrooh in wuduu’?
6) What is the purpose of wuduu’? Why do you think we learn about wuduu’ before prayer?
Homework 10 – Wuduu’ – II
1) What happens if your entire face does not get washed during wuduu’?
2) What happens if you did not make niyyah (intention) before doing wuduu’?
3) What is miswaak?
4) What is khilaal and which parts does it apply to in wuduu’?
5) What is masah and which parts does it apply to in wuduu’?
6) Write in Arabic the du’a after wuduu’ and its English translation.
Homework 11 – Wuduu’ – III
1) Answer “true” or “false” to the following things about wuduu’:
a. You should waste water.
b. You should try to face the Qiblah.
c. You should wipe the front of your neck also.
d. You have to make intention for the wuduu’ to be valid.
e. After wuduu’, you can say two rak’aat of prayer.
f. Vomiting breaks the wuduu’.
g. If you sleep soundly, wuduu’ does not break.
2) What happens if someone (who is adult) laughs during prayer?
3) How much of bleeding causes the wuduu’ to break?
4) If you are wearing certain types of socks, you do not have to take them off when doing wuduu’- instead you can wipe (masah) over them. What type of socks are these? How long can you keep doing wuduu’ without having to take off the socks? What happens if the socks have holes in them?
Homework 12 – Ghusl (Bath)
1) When is it sunnah to make ghusl?
2) When are some other times when it is good to take a ghusl (bath)?
3) What are the fard and sunnah parts of ghusl?
4) Can you take a bath in public? Should you face the Qiblah while taking a bath?
5) After making ghusl do you have to make wuduu’ also before you can pray?
Homework 13 – Cleanliness
1) What does najaasat mean? What is the difference between haqeeqi and hukmi najaasat?
2) What substance do we use to clean their body or clothes from haqeeqi najaasat?
3) What kinds of water can be used for wuduu’? What kinds of water cannot be used?
4) What is it called when you clean and wash yourself after using the toilet?
5) What things should not be done when using the toilet?
Homework 14 – Tayammum
1) What do we use to do tayammum? When can someone do tayammum?
2) What are the fard of tayammum?
3) What does it mean that the niyyah is a fard for tayammum? If you make intention of tayammum only for reading the Qur’ân, can you say prayers using the same tayammum?
4) When does tayammum break?
5) Where in the Qur’ân does it mention tayammum? (Hint: Look in the first 50 âyât (verses) of Sűrah 4 – Nisaa.)
Homework 15 – Conditions of Prayer
1) What is the satar of a man? Of a woman?
2) What is the correct time for Fajr prayer? When is the best time to say Fajr?
3) When does the time for Zuhr prayer end and ‘Asr prayer start?
4) What is the time of Maghrib prayers? When should Maghrib prayers be said?
5) When should Witr prayer be said?
6) Which direction is the Qiblah?
7) How should someone make niyyah for the prayer?
Homework 16 – Adhaan
1) Is Adhaan a fard or sunnah? Should both men and women call adhaan?
2) When is the proper way of calling the adhaan?
3) Which prayers is the adhaan for?
4) What is the person called who calls adhaan?
5) What is the second call to prayer called – the one that is said just before everyone stands up to pray together?
6) What is it called when people pray together as a group? What is the person called who leads the group?
Homework 17 – Prayer I
1) What does it mean for something to be one of the arkaan of prayer?
2) What are the 6 things which are the arkaan of prayer? Give their Arabic names.
3) Write the Arabic phrase that is called takbeer. What does it mean in English?
4) What is the minimum amount of Qur’ân that must be recited in prayer? How much is waajib?
5) What is the difference between fard and waajib?
6) What is the proper way to do rukuu’? What is the proper way to do sajdah?
Homework 18 – Prayer II
1) What are the 14 waajib actions in prayer?
2) What happens if you forget to do one of the waajib things by mistake?
3) What are the 21 sunnahs of prayer?
4) What are the 5 mustahab of prayer?