The Teachings of Islâm
Homework Workbook – (for Parts I – III)
Homework 1 – Allâh
What does the Arabic word kalimah mean?
Write the kalimah tawheed in Arabic (without looking) and its English meaning. What are some other names of this kalimah.
What are the five pillars of Islâm? Tell their names in Arabic as well as English.
Tell what the following words mean:
What are some of the names of Allâh and what do they mean?
Homework 2 – Angels
1) What are the 7 main things Muslims believe in that are mentioned in the imaam mufassal?
2) What are angels made of? How many are there?
3) Who created the angels?
4) Match up the names of the angels below with their jobs:
Homework 3 – Books of Allâh
5) What is the difference between a kitaab and a saheefah?
6) Which prophets were these books
7) Answer “true” or “false” to the following:
The Holy Qur’ân is Allâh’s speech.
The words of the Holy Qur’ân have changed since the Prophet Muhammad ().
The Holy Qur’ân took 23 years to come to the Prophet ().
Nobody knows the whole Qur’ân by heart and memory.
The rules in the Holy Qur’ân do not make sense nowadays.
Homework 4 – Prophets of Allâh
8) What kind of creatures were the prophets – angels, jinn, or human beings?
9) Who sent the prophets?
10) Who was the first prophet? Who was the last prophet?
11) What other prophets were from the same family line as the Prophet Muhammad ()?
12) Tell the names of seven prophets whose names are mentioned in the Holy Qur’ân.
Homework 5 – The Last Prophet ()
13) What were the names of the parents of the Prophet Muhammad ()? What was his grandfather’s name?
14) What cities did the Prophet () live in? Why did he have to move from one city to another?
15) Which tribe and family of Arabia did the Prophet () belong to?
16) How old was the Prophet () when he became a prophet? How long after that did he live?
17) The Holy Prophet () was ummiy.What does ummiy mean?
Homework 6 – Sahaabah and Awliyaa
18) Who were the sahaabah?
19) Tell the names of seven of the sahaabah.
20) What does it mean to be a waliy-ullâh (friend of Allâh)?
21) Order the following people or types of people in order of their rank according to Islâm. For example, the first person in rank should be the Prophet Muhammad ():
Hadrat Abu Bakr ()
Any of the prophets (peace be upon them)
A waliy-ullâh who was not a sahaabah
Hadrat ‘Uthmân ()
Prophet Muhammad ()
Hadrat ‘Ali ()
Hadrat ‘Umar ()
Who were the first four khaleefahs after the Prophet ()?
Homework 7 – Day of Judgment, Taqdeer and Life after Death
22) What is an Arabic name for the Day of Judgment?
23) What will happen on the Day of Judgment?
24) Who knows when the Day of Judgment will happen?
25) What are the two places that people will live in during the Life after Death? How long will that Life after Death last?
26) Does Allâh know everything that happens and everything that is going to happen?
Homework 8 – Beliefs
27) How do we know what Muslims are supposed to believe in?
28) Match up the names of the prophets below with the miracles
that they brought. Some prophets had more than one miracle.
29) Who allowed the prophets to do miracles?
30) If someone says they believe like a Muslim, but do not act according to Islam, what will happen?
Homework 9 – Wuduu’ – I
31) What is wuduu’?
32) What are the four fard actions of wuduu’?
33) Which of these things should you do and which should you not do when making wuduu’?
Make intention (niyyah) before starting.
Do wuduu’ in a dirty place.
Wash each part of the body three times.
Wipe the back of the neck.
Wipe the front of the neck.
Waste a lot of water.
Brush the teeth with miswaak.
Use the right hand to clean the nose.
Wash the right arm before the left arm.
Try to face the qiblah.
Talk a lot while making wuduu’.
Homework 10 – Wuduu’ – II
34) What happens if your entire face does not get washed during wuduu’?
35) What happens if you did not make niyyah (intention) before doing wuduu’?
36) What is miswaak?
37) Write in Arabic the du’â to read before starting wuduu’ and its English meaning.
Homework 11 – Wuduu’ – III
38) Answer “true” or “false” to the following things about wuduu’:
You should waste water.
a. You should try to face the Qiblah.
b. You should wipe the front of your neck also.
c. You have to make intention for the wuduu’ to be valid.
d. After wuduu’, you can say two rak’aat of prayer.
e. Vomiting breaks the wuduu’.
f. If you sleep soundly, wuduu’ does not break.
39) What happens if someone (who is adult) laughs during prayer?
40) Write the du’â for after finishing the wuduu’ in Arabic and its English meaning.
Homework 12 – Ghusl (Bath)
41) When is it sunnah to make ghusl?
42) When are some other times when it is good to take a ghusl (bath)?
43) Can you take a bath in public? Should you face the Qiblah while taking a bath?
44) After making ghusl do you have to make wuduu’ also before you can pray?
Homework 13 – Cleanliness
45) Which of these things can we use to make wuduu’ or to wash ourselves with?
Water from a well
Water from the ocean
Water that someone else already used for wuduu’.
Water that a pig has drunk from.
Water from melted snow.
46) What is it called when you clean and wash yourself after using the toilet?
47) What things should not be done when using the toilet?
Homework 14 – Tayammum
48) What do we use to do tayammum?
49) When can someone do tayammum?
50) What are the fard of tayammum?
51) When does tayammum break?
Homework 15 – Conditions of Prayer
52) What is the satar of a man? Of a woman?
53) What is the time for Fajr prayer?
54) When does the time for Zuhr prayer end and ‘Asr prayer start?
55) What is the time of Maghrib prayers?
56) When should Witr prayer be said?
57) Which direction is the Qiblah?
Homework 16 – Adhaan
58) Is Adhaan a fard or sunnah? Should both men and women call adhaan?
59) Which prayers is the adhaan for?
60) What is the person called who calls adhaan?
61) What is the second call to prayer called – the one that is said just before everyone stands up to pray together?
62) What is it called when people pray together as a group? What is the person called who leads the group?
Homework 17 – Prayer
63) What are the 6 things which are the most important parts (fard) of prayer? Give their Arabic names.
64) Write the Arabic phrase that is called takbeer. What does it mean in English?
65) How much Qur’ân should you recite in prayer?
66) What is the proper way to do rukuu’? What is the proper way to do sajdah?